Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Affected by dengue fever. Blood test done. Symptoms of cancer?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1462 Questions
My sister has recently affected by denque fever and two day before we take an blood test for her and the report showing that her WBC count is more than 0000. Is that any symptoms of cancer
Posted Sun, 10 Mar 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 39 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
I don't think she has dengue fever. Fever with high neutrophil count and toxic granulations suggest bacterial infection. Blood culture is negative but what about urine culture? Is there any other focus like sore throat or ear infection?

She needs intravenous antibiotics and monitoring of counts. Possibility of leukemia (blood cancer) is low at this point but will need to be considered if she does not improve with this.

The anemia also needs to be investigated further. At least full iron studies in blood is required.

Hope i have answered your query. I will be available for further follow up queries if any.

In any case if there is no improvement then a bone marrow test may be required.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor