Advised to take progesterone injection for fibroids during pregnancy. Is it safe to travel by train?

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Infertility Specialist

Posted on Thu, 12 Dec 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: hi i am 27 week pregnant and have low lying placenta which is 2.77 cm from the internal os.and have fibriod also of approx 6 size. i have book a ticket for mumbai by train that is 18 hours journey and in 1 AC. should i travel by train. and what are the prequation to be taken in train journey. my doctor suggest me to take progestrone injection before coming by train .will it harm my baby and me. suggest me please.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: Dont worry Detailed Answer: Hi, Low lying placenta of 2.77 cms away from internal os is not to be worried. Fibroid is also not a cause of worry. Try to avoid journey in pregnancy as much as possible since journey is not advisable in pregnancy. Even if it is compulsory to travel, Dont lift luggage or heavy weight and book lower birth in train. There is separate lower XXXXXXX quota for pregnant woman travelling in train. Progesterone injection is not necessary. Dont take. Let me know if you have any more doubts. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Koregol 8 minutes later
hi. thanks for reply. hi i am 27 week pregnant and have low lying placenta which is 2.77 cm from the internal os.and have fibriod also of approx 6 size. i have book a ticket for mumbai by train that is 18 hours journey and in 1 AC. should i travel by train. i want to know that what kind of precauation to be taken while traveling by train. and travelling by 1AC OR 2AC which is better. 18 hours journey will affect me or my baby. i am worried. i have to go to my mom place for delivery.as here there is no one to look after me.please guide me.is any medicine should i take or any injection such as projestrone to be taken.can train journey will effect me in my pregnancy.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: ! AC Detailed Answer: Hi, Placenta and fibroid are not a problem. Hopefully, nothing will happen by train journey. Travelling for long hours is not advisable in pregnancy. Keep walking in between. Travelling by 1 AC is better. Go with members of family who is capable of taking you to hospital to any of stations on the way. There is no need of taking any medicines. Injection progesterone can be taken before travel which makes no difference hence not compulsory or needed. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Koregol 6 minutes later
hi, when u write this sentence that Go with members of family who is capable of taking you to hospital to any of stations on the way. i am worried so much. please tell me train journey will not effect me . placenta will create any problem. if i free from my mind all those risk i can easily travel. i dont want to take any risk for my baby and myself. Is climbing stair create any problem. you are the one who advise me correctly. waiting for your reply
Brief Answer: Long journeys not good Detailed Answer: Hi, I said one thing clearly that it is not advisable to travel for such long duration in train or or flight or bus. Travel only if there is no alternative. Long journeys are not safe in pregnancy. Placenta and fibroid are not a problem. Pregnant women are prone for blood clot formation in legs and early pains in long journeys. Thats the reason i advised you to avoid train journey now. Climbing stairs, working at home or walking daily is not a problem. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Koregol 5 minutes later
hi. is break up journey is advisable.and should i cancel my journey.tell me
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: cancel Detailed Answer: Hi, You can travel break journey lasting maximum 6 hours. It would be better if you can cancel travel. Regards