Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Advised to take glycomet and deviry for PCOD. What are the chances of pregnancy after intercourse?

Mar 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5973 Questions
hello doctor, I am married women.itz been alomst 1.5yrs since i am married.i have Gynec has tlod me to take glycomet daily 1-0-1 after food, and deviry for 3months from 15th day of my period for 10 days.she told us to have intercourse from 12thday-15thday.So me and my partner did the same.Sometimes when we have intercourse the serum comes completely-does this mean i am pregnant/we are not having proper intercourse?Also what is the chance me getting pregnant if done during the above mentioned time?
Posted Wed, 18 Dec 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. PCOD is a condition with basic hormonal imbalance. Due to this the ovary contains multiple small cysts, and there is irregular menstrual bleeding and problems in ovulation. Glycomet contains metformin which helps in regulating symptoms. Deviry is progesterone which is given to induce a period at regular intervals. If you have intercourse during the ovulatory period ( around day 12 - day 16 if you have regular cycles, as ovulation occurs around day 14 ) , then chances of conception are high. In PCOD, generally ovulation is unpredictable, and many women are anovulatory. To know your real chances of pregnancy, follow the below mentioned steps - 1. Go for 3 months of trying to conceive with intercourse timed around the ovulatory period. 2. If this fails, then go for 3 cycles of follicular monitoring ( serial ultrasound scans throughout your menstrual cycle to track the development of the egg , and to confirm if ovulation is occurring ). 3. If ovulation is normal, then chances of spontaneous conception are good , more than 50 %, if there is difficulty in ovulation, you would be given medications such as Clomiphene Citrate to induce ovulation and stimulate the ovaries. 4. You can then try for 3 - 6 cycles of ovarian stimulation with clomiphene citrate / or injections such as gonadotropins coupled with follicular monitoring. Procedures such as IUI ( intra uterine insemination ) will further increase chances of pregnancy. 5. If all these treatment steps fail, then you can next proceed for laparoscopy to assess if the fallopian tubes are open or not. If tubes are blocked, then the option is IVF ( in vitro fertilization ). However, I have just outlined the treatment plan for you, you need not stress out. Many women with PCOD do conceive spontaneously also, so first try naturally without stress, stress will only negatively impact the hormonal patterns. Regarding the method of intercourse, some amount of semen always liquifies and comes out of the genital tract, so do not worry about that. That does not mean that you are pregnant. Regarding proper technique of intercourse, your husband should consult an XXXXXXX / Urologist to know if adequate penetration and ejaculation is being achieved. Take regular folic acid supplements, and maintain an ideal weight and BMI. Take care. Please feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Infertility Spclst

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor