Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Advised test for TSH, lipid panel, cbc and metabolism. Do I have STD?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1201 Questions
I am supposed to have blood work done a TSH, 3rd gen a lipid panel a cbc and a comprehensive metabolic will these determine if I have an std such as herpes?
Posted Tue, 14 May 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 22 minutes later

Thanks for sharing your health concerns.

None of those tests would identify a herpes infection. The best test would be if there is a typical lesion (eg. a sore) to do a viral culture out of it, or a less ideal surrogate is to obtain Herpes antibody titers in blood; note that there are both Type 1 and Type 2 herpes; genital herpes is most commonly type 2.

Hope this helps with your query, wish you the best health.

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic Rochester MN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor