Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
166 Doctors are Online

Adviced Lortab 5mg/500 Tylenol for chronic pain after accident. Pain under rib cage. Is the dosage safe on liver?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12753 Questions
I was prescribed Lortab 5mg/500 Tylenol 4 times daily for chronic pain from a car accident. I have been taking this dose for about 3 months now. The highest does I have taken during any given 24 hours might have been 3200mg when the pain is severe. I am having horrible pain on my right side under rib cage. I have been to the ER three times and have CT scans done. No doctor here will take my concerns of my liver seriously because they say that is a "safe dose" I am severly depressed because I feel like I am going to die because my liver is being damaged. Is this dose something that will cause liver problems (I do not drink) or am I being overly anxious? Also is it true (a friend told me) that if I have damaged my liver I will need a liver transplant or die?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
A dose of 3200 mg for acetaminophen is a safe dose. It is not likely to cause any liver damage at this dose. Still to be very sure about your liver function you can get your liver function tests done to find out how your liver is doing.
The pain in the right upper abdomen just below the ribs suggests few conditions such as
1. Peptic ulcers/gastritis - Anxiety and spicy food can induce gastritis / ulcers.
2. Liver or gall bladder inflammation
It is advisable that you have a bland easy to digest food for some days and get some tests done such as
a) Liver function tests done to detect any related pathology like fatty liver.
b) Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy
c) Ultrasound examination will also be helpful in detecting any hepatic pathology and will rule out other probable causes like renal disease or gall bladder calculus.

You may discuss about these option with your primary doctor. Perhaps consulting a 'gastroenterologist' might also be useful and you may get the above tests under their guidance. Some medications such as antacids, proton pump inhibitors and liver supportive drugs will help in treating the problem.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Adviced Lortab 5mg/500 Tylenol for chronic pain after accident. Pain under rib cage. Is the dosage safe on liver? 1 hour later
Well that is what I have been trying to do is get the test done but my Dr is refusing to do them because he says they are not necessary. Also I do not have a gallbladder anymore but that is they exact area that it is hurting. I suppose I will just have to wait it out and see since no one seems to really care enough to see what is going on. Thanks for your answer.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for writing again.

Doing some blood tests will definitely help in your management. If your present doctor is refusing for these tests then you can opt for a second opinion.

Try having some antacids like tums or tablet omeprazole once a day on an empty stomach for few days and see if the symptoms improve.

Consulting a gastroenterologist will help you further.

Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.
Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor