Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

Advice specialists for treating thoracic outlet syndrome?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3632 Questions
Hello Doctor, The following is a query for my brother, who is facing severe pain on and off. Please suggest the best advice from your side. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hello Doctor I am having pain in left side of the neck, left hand, arm, shoulder with numbness since 1 month, the numbness along with severe pain will be radiating from the shoulder till palm. Frequency of this pain occurs in 1 to 2 minutes. During night times it will be more and will not be able to sleep properly. I have consulted a Doctor who after hearing my symptoms told that I have thoracic outlet syndrome, and suggested to take physiotherapy. I took 15 sessions but no improvement. Kindly suggest which type of specialists I should approach and good doctor for this kind of problem. Also I had back pain for 3 to 4 years which I am keeping it away by doing strengthening exercise. I have done complete spine scan and I am attaching the report here. Thanks in advance. Regards, XXXXXXX (Age: 33 yrs)
Posted Mon, 23 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 13 hours later
Brief Answer: Neurologist Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. The condition seems to be in the initial stage. With right Physiotherapy you can cure the same. I suggest you to consult a Neurologist and a Neurosurgeon for a integrated opinion on the same. Also do wear neck collar if advised. This may prevent worsening of the spondylosis in the neck. Regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Advice specialists for treating thoracic outlet syndrome? 5 hours later
Hello Dr. XXXXXXX A.T Thanks for your reply. I had first met a Neurologist only and he had did NCS (Nerve conduction test) for both hands and the report was normal. Subsequently, he had suggested for Physiotherapy but the problem is the fluctuating response/recovery of my body for this treatment based on the person doing it (it has not been same person doing it). Can you please let me know about the present stage of the problem and in general how long these physiotherapy sessions have to be taken? As right physiotherapy is very essential for cure this problem, can you please suggest a good physiotherapist (or) good physiotherapy clinics in Bangalore. I stay in Old Airport road. Thanks in Advance, Regards, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 14 hours later
Brief Answer: General surgeon Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing back. Its good to hear that you have consulted a neurologist and cleared of nerve involvement. The next would be to assess the severity of the thoracic outlet obstruction. For this you may have to consult a general surgeon. I still stick to my opinion that good physiotherapy helps. Do consult Physiotherapy department in Manipal hospital airport road. You can consult the general surgeon too there. Regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor