Adults and 21 month old infant have had ongoing RSV

Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman

Posted on Sat, 26 Jan 2019 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Adults and 21 month old infant have had ongoing RSV for a month. Child’s mother developing bronchitis, has terrible cough and sore throat, has lost her voice. 2 older adults in family still coughing. What to do??
Follow up: Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman 8 minutes later
I would not have bothered with this site if I had known it could take up to 24 hours for a response.
Follow up: Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman 5 minutes later
Mother also visited her doctor. Mild Bronchitis.

Mother also was admitted to hospital 2 weeks ago for acute back pain. Over night stay Sat/Sun. Dr prescribed 1week of steroids to help her back pain.
Answered by Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please see detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to `Ask A Doctor` service. I have read your question and here is my advice.
These symptoms are consistent with RSV .RSV is contageous , that is it spreads from person to person , and unfortunately there is no vaccine against it , so thats reason many people may get it.Its good that most people have only mild disease and like most of vurus would settle in sometimes and do not need treatment but there are few things we need to take care and may need emergency care specially in children.
Fever, headache , sore throat , cough are common symptoms of RSV and only need supportive care that i would explain latter.
However in case of high grade fever, difficulty in breathing , or rapid respiratory rate or wheezing in chest may indicate that the infection has gone down to the lungs and this needs emergency management.
In healthy adults rsv does not cause any serious problem and hence only need supportive care.So if she has no respiratory problem, no difficulty in breathing i would suggest she may be managed at home with some cough syrup and supportive care.Supportive care includes over the counter paracetamol for fever, take lot of fluids , saline nasal drops for nasal stiffiness, and keeping room warm and humid .The loss of voice may indicate laryngitis which may be a part of the disease. However if she has any breathing problem are very rapid breathing , or is very sick she may be taken to the ER.
Hope i have answered your question, Please feel free to ask anything else you need to know or any special concern if you have.
Kind regards DR XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman 46 minutes later
What home remedies and/or antibiotics would you suggest if sputum turns green or when the RSV lingers (we’ve had it for a month!).

Are there antibiotics to stay away from?
Answered by Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please see details below

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thank you for writing back to us.

Since it is a viral disease and we do not recommend antibiotics. However, one important complication of this is to get a superadded bacterial infection of the lungs. Here, it's important to use proper antibiotics. A lot of sputum or high-grade fever or worsening chest symptoms may indicate a bacterial infection. We generally use Azithromycin or Amoxicillin or Levofloxacin for respiratory bacterial infection. But this should be prescribed by your doctor after proper work up. So if you have any suspicion you may see your GP for it.

We don't recommend antibiotics for RSV.

The home remedies are not for bacterial infection. That needs proper antibiotics after assessment. Home remedies are for cough, congestion, and low-grade fever.

There are remedies like green tea, salt mist, cranberry juice, honey, XXXXXXX hips. These are all mostly for a cough and congestion.

The duration of disease is generally 1 week to 10 days but may last for up to 3 weeks.
However certain symptoms may persist up to 2 months. So if you are improved but only little cough is there , then it's ok . But if the symptoms are persistent for one month (RSV does not linger this much), then it'll be better to see your doctor evaluate you for complication due to other possible causes.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman 53 minutes later
Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
My pleasure

Detailed Answer:
it's a pleasure for me .

wish you a speedy recovery .

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng