question-icon

Adoption, child's one ear is bigger than the other, cause of concern ?

Posted on Fri, 18 May 2012
Question: We are considering adopting a 2 year old who has one ear bigger than the other. Do we need to be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh (32 minutes later)
Hello XXXXXXX

Your concern before adoption is genuine. It is normal to find asymmetric ears in many normal children and adults and there is no medical abnormality in that. It is not uncommon to find some difference in the size and symmetry of body parts in an individual and ears is no exception.

However I would like to draw your attention to one point that asymmetrical ears may also be found in some chromosomal abnormality like Chromosomal 6 syndrome and Chromosome 9q duplication/chromosome 9p deletion syndrome. In chomoscome 6 syndrome, there may be unusually small head (microcephaly), malformed or low-set ears a small jaw (micrognathia) or eye (ocular) defects.

In chromosome 9 abnormality, small skull, frontal bossing, small jaw, beaked nose and prominent nasal bridge may be there. If you are planning for adoption of a child with asymmetric ears, it is advisable to get a chromosomal study and a genetic study done if any of the above mentioned symptoms are noted.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Dr. Jasvinder Singh