Admitted to ER after taking a statin drug. Hysteric and taking zeita. Need advise

Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani

Posted on Thu, 14 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: The first time that I took a statin drug (that I was aware) I wound up in an ER gasping for air. I reported it to my cardiologist an was prescribed three other drugs, all statins. If I am an hysteric, I am one who reads labels. Changed DR's, and doing well on Zetia. Any advice?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Continue with Zetia, change life and food style,

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting query.

I agree that statin has got side effects like muscular weakness, chest pain, gastric upset etc,
But lowering cholesterol and other lipids are equally important to prevent cardiac complications.
Zetia is again a lipid lowering medicine, it does have side effects like statin but as you tolerate it well, it is fine.
As you got history of lots of allergies, ask your doctor on taking any other medicine.
Zetia can give rise to few side effects after few weeks, please keep this in mind.
In your case best is change your life style and food style.
Go for normal walking exercise daily.
I hope I answered your query.
If you have further query or clarification, please ask.
take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E