Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

Adhesions on penis. Have them removed for self conscious reasons? Have them examined?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 1984
Answered : 922 Questions
Hello, Recently I have discovered that I have skin bridges or "adhesions" on my penis. They don't really bother me or anything in the form of physical pain, but I think they look weird and really just want them removed for cosmetic appearance. Im 17 and am not sure really how to go about this? I want them removed because really i'm self conscious and just think that any sexual partners I may have in the future will be weirded out and possibly "walk out" so to speak.I have had a few sexual partners, but all my sexual experiences so far have been quite subtle, and I don't believe they were really noticed. I know i should't be worrying about such things, and that any proper partner wouldn't care, but thats just the way I am, and I just think that life will be easier without them. Now theres only three small pieces of skin that connect, so I don't think such a surgery would necessarily be very difficult. At one point, cutting them off myself crossed my mind, but i know that i should probably seek the help of a professional;. So anyways, I just don't know what i should do. First i think it would be very weird going in and talking to a doctor about something that really doesn't harm me in anyway, as well as it having to do with my private parts. I most certainly know he/she will want to examine, and i just don't think I am courageous enough to let them. Im very shy, and get embarrassed extremely easily, and doing such a thing is something i would never even dream of doing. Im also 17, so my parents would have to know of surgery no matter how small correct? Which I'm not really sure I'm ready for... so should i wait until I'm 18? As you can probably tell I'm extremely confused and unsure of what to do over such a small thing, but being quite self conscious about myself it bothers me quite a bit, and really would like to get them removed. Anyways let me know what you think..

Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

Legally being a minor, it is great you understand all the aspects of a surgery.

You have not exactly described few things:

Are you circumcised?
- If yes, where's the so called adhesions located?
- If No, Are you able to retract your skin?

If you are able to retract your skin without difficulty, you can wait for another year or so. But if you do experience difficulty in retracting your skin, then you would need to discuss with a doctor after talking to your parents.

There is no harm getting yourself examined, and why should you feel embarrassed. This issue can be corrected effectively without any complications. So do not worry.

One word of caution, never attempt doing anything yourself as any surgical procedure even in inexperienced hands is very risky

Hope I have answered your query; if you need anymore clarifications revert back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Adhesions on penis. Have them removed for self conscious reasons? Have them examined? 21 hours later
Hello again,

Yes i am circumcised. The so called "skin bridges" i have are apparently the result of unproper care after I had my circumcision as a child. The cut skin apparently fuses with the gland (head) if the two make contact for a period of time? It isn't really restricting at at as far as when i have an erection, but its just strange as i have said before, and i wouldn't mind them being removed. Even from my untrained eye I can tell that it would be a very simple surgery.

I don't think i am very comfortable talking about it with my parents, even tho in reality it isn't a big deal, but i think it would probably be just best to wait till I'm a legal adult (I turn eighteen in a few months). But by being eighteen would i be able to do such an operation without the notification of my parents?

And one more question... Now what would be the best way to go about such a surgery? should i go to the local doctor, discuss it, and get it set up? Or should i go to a specialist? I know there is a urology doctor fairly close by to where i live, would that be my best bet? What do you think?

Thanks again for all the help.
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your follow up query.

What I gather from your information is that there is some skin covering the glans and adhesions developed below the skin

Under all circumstances, you should get operated after 18 years if you do not want your parents to be involved. All depends on the law of the land - In India if you are 18 and come with a friend we can operate upon you without any legal implications.

Regarding the right doctor, well the best thing would be going to a specialist as this would be a revision surgery, though it may appear simple to you

Hope its all clear to you now. If you have any other query revert back. If you do not have any other query indicate by accepting the reply.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Adhesions on penis. Have them removed for self conscious reasons? Have them examined? 33 hours later
One more question for ya doctor, if you don't mind..

I also believe i have a Varicocele vein in my left testicle. Compared to the other it is quite different, it almost feels like the vein is bigger, and more rigid/hard. I was just wondering if you knew much about the procedure of getting this removed? I hear that the removal of it is quite important, seeing that it can lead to male infertility and such. I'm just kind of weary about such a procedure, and was wondering if such a removal procedure is quite easy? or if it is quite difficult and risky?

Also in regards to you last post,

The adhesions are basically small pieces of skin connecting the head of my penis to whats left of my foreskin after the circumcision.

I also live in Canada, so I'm not sure if you know much about the healthcare or laws here but if you do let me know.

Thanks again doctor, cheers.
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 8 hours later
Thanks for posting your follow-up query.

The adhesions can be corrected by a revision surgery but I would again stress that it has to be in expert hands.

Varicocele needs to be diagnosed first by a color Doppler study of the scrotum and then if need be, it can be corrected by surgery if it is symptomatic or after semen analysis.

All varicocele are not culprits in infertility.

They can be corrected by an open surgery or through a Laparoscope.

Hope all is clear; if you have no further query do accept my reply.

Get well Soon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor