Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online

Adenoids, snoring, breathing difficulty

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2546 Questions
my son has adenoids his 3 yrs old is it very XXXXXXX as i have to wait till 26th oct to see specialist and go from what they say... he snores alot at night n breathes heavilly througout day as well...
plz im very worried is it okay to wait till oct 26th.... as its been a month since his alreday been like this... he doesnt even sleep properly
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 6 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Adenoids hypertrophy is common in all children between the ages of 3 to 7 years. They usually subside and disappear by the age of 12 to 15 years in more than 95% children.

2. Snoring at night and mouth breathing imply significant nasal obstruction. I suggest you to get a lateral X-ray of the Skull to see the extent of the adenoid hypertrophy.

3. While you may be forced to wait till 26th October, you may take the help of medication in the form of anti-allergics, decongestants, steroid nasal sprays and supervised steam inhalation to reduce the nasal obstruction.

4. Adenoid hypertrophy is mild in the majority of children, however they can cause a multitude of side effects in the long term in some children such as unfavorable changes in the facial bones, recurrent nose and ear infections. hearing and learning problems at school,failure to thrive, sleep apnea syndrome and so on.

5. In my opinion you should seek medical treatment after confirming with an X-ray. With early and appropriate treatment, surgery may be avoided.

6. I have treated a child from Australia who was diagnosed with sleep apnea. He had adenoids, which regressed with the above treatment. I have X-rays taken at three intervals over a year to prove the regression of the adenoids. I can email you a set of images if you need to convince your physician to initiate prompt medical treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor