Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Adenoid tissue enlarged. Child snores, has fever, cold and cough frequently. Should the tissue be removed?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2542 Questions
I am writing a query for my niece who is 5 years old.She often suffers from fever, cold, cough and sometimes even Stomach pain.She snores during sleep.A child specialist had advised an X-ray for determining the Adenoid tissue and it was found in the X-ray that the Adenoid tissue is enlarged.

I need your kind advice about the medication we should follow and whom to consult in this regard Allopathy, Homeopathy or Ayurvedic practisioner.

I would also like to know if the surgery is necessary to remove the adenoid tissue and if removed does it reduce the immunity.Can the size of adenoid tissue be reduced by take medication?

Kindly suggest in this regard.
Thanking you in anticipation.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later


Thank you for your query.

1. Adenoid hypertrohpy is seen in all children between the ages of 3 and 7 years. After this age, the adenoid tissue regresses and disappears by the age of 12 -15 years in 95% people.

2. It is safe to operate and remove the adenoids after the age of 5 years without affecting immunity.

3. Before you consider getting an operation done, you should insist on a trial of medication for 3 to 6 months.

4. Medication consists of anti allergics, mucolytics, steroid nasal sprays and supervised steam inhalation. This usually reduces the adenoid mass and improves symptoms in most children, thereby helping to avoid adenoidectomy operations. Medication should always be taken under supervision of your doctor. Discontinue steroid sprays when there is active infection or fever.

Hope this answers your query. Should you have any additional concerns, I will be glad to assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor