Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

Addicted to nicorette gum. Tumor removed from colon, surgery done. Wants to do chemotherapy. Tips to quit nicorette?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 598 Questions
My husband aged 75 has been chewing Nicorette gum for about 18 years. He has just had a tumour removed from the colon .It spread to the Lymph nodes which were removed. He will begin Chemotherapy in about 3 weeks.
He is now recovering in rehabilition hospital. He has resumed chewing Nicorette ( I don't know how he found some !) and I would like to know of side effects resulting. He has a slight heart murmor. The cardiologist said to see him in a year's time. I need to show my husband the necessity of cessation of Nicorette use. I am a retired pharmacist but he has never taken my advice. Please advise,
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 6 hours later

Thanks for posting the query.
I would like to make the following comments after going through your history:

1. Nicorette chewing gums are recommended as a part of smoking cessation therapy for a maximum of 12 weeks. Your husband has been taking it since 18 years, which has far exceeded the recommended duration.

2. Also, it is relatively contraindicated in the presence of unstable heart disease, recent myocardial infarction, or irregular heartbeat as nicotine can increase the heart rate.

3. There are a lot of adverse effects associated with such a long use of nicotine gums.

4. It is strongly suggested that you take your husband to a professional smoking cessation programme (mostly under the consultation of Pulmonologist & Psychiatrist) and be evaluated for this form of nicotine dependence.

I hope I have answered your query. Please do let me know if there are any further queries.
Please accept my answer if there are no further queries.

I wish your husband good health.


Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Addiction Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor