Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Addicted to drinks. Test showed high gamma g t level. How to reduce this level?

Jan 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1658 Questions
Sir I am 47 years old and addicted to drinks My Gamma g t level is 155 Can I lower or space my drinks to reduce this to normal levels or do I have to quit drinking completely also i am a smoker

please help me sir
Thu, 10 Jan 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Gamma glutamyl transferase (GGT) XXXXXXX specific enzyme and its elevation is highly significant and suggestive of liver disease or effect on liver.
Elevation of GGT with addiction to drinks suggest that you must stop taking alcohol.
Liver is a very tolerable organ of our body and symptoms regarding liver disease won't appear until unless 80-85% of liver is damaged.

Liver (due to drinking) gets damaged in four stages:
1) Fatty Liver
2) Alcoholic hepatitis
3) Cirrhosis of liver
4) Hepatocellular carcinoma.

After attainment of stage 1 & 2, liver gets its normal architecture after stopping alcohol but once stage 3 means cirrhosis is achieved then there is no role for stopping alcohol.
So its better to stop alcohol.
You should also stop smoking. Although smoking does not damage liver but simultaneous drinking & smoking damages pancreas and may cause pancreatitis.
You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist and take proper medicine for liver recovery.
You should also take de-addiction therapy for drinking & smoking.
Your HbA1c, VLDL level is normal except raised triglycerides.
You should also take lipid lowering medicine on written prescription.
Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Addiction Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor