Addicted to drinks. Test showed high gamma g t level. How to reduce this level?

Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Posted on Thu, 10 Jan 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Question: Sir I am 47 years old and addicted to drinks My Gamma g t level is 155 Can I lower or space my drinks to reduce this to normal levels or do I have to quit drinking completely also i am a smoker

please help me sir
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Gamma glutamyl transferase (GGT) XXXXXXX specific enzyme and its elevation is highly significant and suggestive of liver disease or effect on liver.
Elevation of GGT with addiction to drinks suggest that you must stop taking alcohol.
Liver is a very tolerable organ of our body and symptoms regarding liver disease won't appear until unless 80-85% of liver is damaged.

Liver (due to drinking) gets damaged in four stages:
1) Fatty Liver
2) Alcoholic hepatitis
3) Cirrhosis of liver
4) Hepatocellular carcinoma.

After attainment of stage 1 & 2, liver gets its normal architecture after stopping alcohol but once stage 3 means cirrhosis is achieved then there is no role for stopping alcohol.
So its better to stop alcohol.
You should also stop smoking. Although smoking does not damage liver but simultaneous drinking & smoking damages pancreas and may cause pancreatitis.
You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist and take proper medicine for liver recovery.
You should also take de-addiction therapy for drinking & smoking.
Your HbA1c, VLDL level is normal except raised triglycerides.
You should also take lipid lowering medicine on written prescription.
Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava