Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Acne near pubic groin area. Sexually active. Get an STD test? Are they ingrown hair?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1980
Answered : 254 Questions
Hi, I been getting something like acne down in my pubic groin area for the past month. I am sexually active and occasionally shave my pubic area. I am wondering are these normal acne or ingrown hair. Should I get checked for STDs. I also submitted a pic. Thanks!
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 3 hours later

I went through your problem and viewed the picture.

You seem to have folliculitis which is an infection and inflammation of hair follicle. It is caused by staphylococcus aureus which belongs to bacteria. The possible route of entry could be sexual transmission or simply scratching and injuring the skin.

As there is a history of active sexual life you can undergo the routine like VDRL for syphilis and HIV serology. But these do not present usually as folliculitis. However a blood sugar test is more appropriate.

Pseudo folliculitis is caused by penetration of hair which is common in negroid race.

I suggest the following

1. Take a course of antibiotics like azithromycin

2. Apply topical antibiotics like mupirocin twice a day

3. Regular shaving or trimming the hair

I hope I have addressed your problem. If there are further queries feel free to ask me.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Acne near pubic groin area. Sexually active. Get an STD test? Are they ingrown hair? 35 minutes later
Thanks for your prompt reply. I am Asian so hopefully is folliculitis and ill try to get some antibiotics. How long does these infection last?
Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 4 hours later

Folliculitis is a bacterial infection which lasts for five to seven days only and responds to medications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor