Acidic taste in mouth. What could be causing this?

Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Posted on Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in Dental Health
Question: I have had a acid taste in my mouth for many months. My dentist, oral surgeon and peridontist have all given me treatment for other dental issues but can not find a answer to the acidic taste which seems to develop between 2 upper back molars. When I drink anything acidic, i.e. coffee, orange juice, wine, etc. the condition worsens. I would appreciate any help. Thank-you, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hi, Welcome to XXXXXXX forum. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to XXXXXXX forum. With the available described details, there appears to be high possibility of gastro- esophageal reflux disorder (GERD). Mentioned symptom in medical is known as water brash. As you have already mentioned that you are following dietary restrictions, so other possibilities should be searched out. Other possibilities could be Helicobacter pylori (a bacteria responsible for gastric acidity ailments), decreased gastrointestinal motility with impairment in ahead propulsion of food and acid. Recurrent reflux may cause erosion in esophagus (food pipe). You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ gastroenterologist and should go for thorough check up. You should also go for complete hemogram, blood sugar, thyroid function test, serum amylase, and endoscopy. You should also go for urea breath test for Helicobacter pylori bacteria. Diabetes and thyroid disease may decrease gastrointestinal motility and may predispose to GERD. If I am your treating doctor then I would like to advise you proton pump inhibitors twice in a day, prokinetics (which increases gastrointestinal motility), and dietary restrictions. Antacids will give symptomatic relief but no permanent relief. Treatment for Helicobacter pylori can be decided on the basis of relevant investigation. Take care, Let me know your other query. Wishing a speedy recovery. Dr. Mayank Bhargava