Accidentally took 90ml of walgreens cough suppressant. Any risks?

Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 28 Dec 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi I just accidentally took 90ml of Walgreens cough supresent. (I used the wrong dosage cup). The recommended dosage is 30ml. What should I do?
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

It would have been better if you had tried to induce vomiting to vomit out the medicine. However as more than two hours have elapsed vomiting is not going to have any effect. The excess dose is going to make you drowsy. Nothing else needs to be done and the effect should wear off in another 6-8 hours.

I hope I have responded to your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts of the incident.

Wishing you all the best.

RKk