Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
197 Doctors are Online

Accidentally swallowed plastic water bottle cap, feeling nauseous. Will it pass naturally without hurting?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5718 Questions
I accidentally swallowed a plastic water bottle cap when swallowing several pills ( at least I think, because I can't find it and something hurt in my throat -felt like a couple of the pills got caught in my throat when I swallowed them)..then couldn't find the cap. I did this yesterday almost 24 hours ago. I am slightly stomach feels better with a little something in it....but this nauseous feeling I've has has been with me for two or three days, so I'm not 100% sure it is related. I do keep burping today. I'm just very concerned about whether, if I did swallow it as I suspect, then can it pass naturally without doing damage to me?
Posted Fri, 14 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 54 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

If you really had swallowed a bottle cap, it wont get excreted by its own. Such cup is too large and can stuck anywhere in the esophagus or stomach. If it will get through the stomach, still there is narrowest area of whole gastrointestinal tract - a connection between small and large intestine. If this cup will reach this point, can cause bowels obstruction and surgery might be necessary to remove it.

That is why I suggest you to visit your doctor as soon as possible. Barium swallow test and abdominal X-ray should be done at first. Gastroscopy is a next step.
It is better if this cup will be located in the stomach, as there is a possibility to remove it with gastroscopy.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor