Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Accidentally drank kerosene. Started vomiting. What cure should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 339 Questions
My brother accidentaly drank about 125 ml of kerosene 7 hours ago. What can happen and what can we do? His tummy is running and he is vomiting.
Posted Fri, 3 May 2013 in Environmental and Occupational Hazards
Answered by Dr. Maruti Karale 56 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

It is better to get admitted if possible as he needs to be kept fasting for 12-24 hours.
125ml of kerosene will not cause much harm.It will not cause serious damage to any organ.

Main thing that should be taken care of is to avoid aspiration of stomach contents.Hence he should be given antiemetics to stop vomiting.

Intravenous pantaprazol and antiemetic like ondensetron along with adequate iv fluids and dextrose needs to be given for 24 hours.Once vomiting stops he can start taking orally.

Hope this solves your query.

Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor