Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Absence of periods, enlarging abdomen, fatigue, vomiting. Urine and blood test negative for pregnancy

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3631 Questions
My last period ended 10/23/11 and I am always regular to within a day. My stomach is the size of a 6 month pregnancy but all urine and blood tests indicate negative on pregnancy. I feel fatigue and flutters along with throwing up. What could it be?
Posted Sun, 3 Jun 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Thanks for your query.

If the pregnancy test is negative in both urine and blood with absent cycles since 6 months, I suspect a hormone producing tumour being the cause.

To be certain of it ,I would like to know some more details on your problem like

Was there any spotting since the last cycle ?
Have you got any scans done, if yes please do attach the reports here
Also do attach any other blood tests you have undergone
What is the weight gain over the past 6 months ?
Do you have any kids , is yes kindly mention their age

Anticipating your response
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Absence of periods, enlarging abdomen, fatigue, vomiting. Urine and blood test negative for pregnancy 2 hours later
I am 37 years old. There have been a day or two where I thought it was starting but it I only spotted for a couple of hours and it was light. The only scan was done at week 8 but I am requesting one done at the end of the month. I had gastric bypass over 10 years ago and have not deviated from my stable weight of 160 by more than 10 pounds since then but since Oct. I have gone from 170 to 236 with almost all of the weight in my stomach area right under the breasts. The stomach area is hard and rounded and looks like a pregnant stomach. I have one son who is 12 years old and I did have a miscarriage about 2 years ago. I frequently throw up what I eat and my taste buds are changing. Could it be pregnancy even though the urine tests say no (and the early blood test test says no) or is it more likely something worse like ovarian cancer? I do have an OBGYN appt. soon to address this issue I am just worried. It would be a treasured miracle if it is a baby but I am afraid it is something else. Thank you for your expert opinion in this matter, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 38 minutes later

Thanks for the detailed information.

No, with urine and blood tests being negative for pregnancy there is no chance where we can consider it pregnancy. Provided if the tests are done right way.

Also if there are no changes in the breast and the genital organs (which can be ascertained after examination) the chances of being pregnant are remote.

Yes, it could be a tumour arising from the ovary as such tumours present this way most often.

Ultrasound scan is the best and only diagnostic tool which helps you to know what exactly the condition is.

Do go for it as early as possible.

Hope I answered all your questions. Please use any answer clarification before closing and rating this answer. I will be happy to explain or expand on any issue you may have.

Wish you the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor