About a year ago, I had an echo that was

Dr. Sagar Makode

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2019 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: About a year ago, I had an echo that was done, because my doctor heard a heart murmur. The echo showed that I had mild aortic stenosis. My cardiologist did not seem too concerned and told me to just annually follow up. My question is how serious is this condition? Will I eventually need surgery, and what can I do to slow the progression? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
It's not serious at present

Detailed Answer:
It's not serious at present. But, it progresses and needs surgery in majority, however not universal. It's variable and not predictable, so whether you need surgery or not is a matter of time.
Till date, there is no treatment available to reduce the progression. So, at present there is no treatment indicated and just need to monitor it with echo every few years. However, should have healthy lifestyle like low oily and calorie diet. Also, get your lipid profile tested and if deranged then needs treatment which may help in reduction in progression.
Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy