Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Abortion, clots in menstrual cycle, spotting, vaginal bleeding, ovarian cyst

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 466 Questions
Hi I am 29 Female. I had an abortion in 2007 in India. After I had abortion I have clots in my menstural cycle. I got divorced in 2009 XXXXXXX and I am not sexually active. I changed my location TN to AZ. From 5 months I can see spotting intially after mensural cycle. Last two months I can see spotting 9,10,11,13 days litte bit of bood and small blood clot. I have gastritis from 2004 and have constipation problem for which I am using homeo medicines. Presently my concern is mainly about my vaginal bleeding like spotting in the ovulation peroid and slight pain while passing urine. I have undergone urine test and culture last week every thing is negative. blood test is normal all hormones are normal and I have very low vitamin D which is about 9.8. HOW MUCH VITAMIN D SUPPLEMENTS DO I NEED TO TAKE PER DAY IS 2000 INTERNATIONALS UNITS SUFFICIENT OR DO I need to take high dose vitamin D supplements. If so howmuch is the dose when I have to take the supplement.I am having cranberry juice daily. Could you plz tell what could be the problem. I am really scared to see blood spotting from 4 month in the 9 th ,10, followed till 14 thday after peroids. Please give the answer. BP IS NORMAL BMI IS NORMAL HEART BEAT IS NORMAL. BREAST EXAMINATION IS NORMAL. TO UNDERGO PAPSMEAR I CAN SEE SPOTTING WHERE I AM UNABLE TO DO THE PROCEDURE. IS NORMAL ULTRASOUND IS SUFFICIENT CHECKING FOR VAGINA OVARIAN CYST OR DO I NEED TO TRANSVAGINAL ULTRASOUND. PLEASE SUGGEST ME WHY IAM HAVING PAIN SOMETIMES WHILE PASSING URINE. IF THE PAIN IS FOR ONE DAY THE NEXT DAY I WONT HAVE.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 4 hours later

Thanks for the query

Spotting during the cycles can be due to underlying ovarian or uterine disorders like Endometritis,Fibroids,Polyps and these are quire common during the reproductive years.Birth control pills can cause spotting as they cause fluctuations in the hormonal levels but if you are not having them now then spotting should not be present.
According to the symptoms reported by you(spotting and pain on urination) it seems like Endometritis but you require a complete Pelvic examination along with investigations like USG Pelvis and Hormonal analysis to rule out the exact cause.Transvaginal USG is not necessary and if any abnormality present can be detected by even normal USG.
Regarding the Vitamin D dosage it is decided on the basis of age,height,weight,any symptom if present,any medication intake etc.Since your Vitamin D levels are quite low you would probably require higher dose.
Kindly visit a Gynaecologist for evaluation.

Hope I have answered your query.I will be available to answer your follow up query
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Abortion, clots in menstrual cycle, spotting, vaginal bleeding, ovarian cyst 8 hours later
Hello Dr. Mitaly,

Thanks for your answer. I have used Birth control in 2007, 2008. Presently I am taking them. From my childhood I have used many Antibiotics for Amebiasis for stomach. Doctors wrong diagnosed and gave unnecessary medications which leaded my stomach sensitivity and developed gastritis. Used so many antacids lead to constipation. My stomach became so sensitive to take antibiotics. If I take I ll suffer with stomach burning, gastritis and constipation. Thats is the reason I am using the Homeo medicines for gastritis and constipation following the proper diet including fiber foods. I am doing yoga pranayama and some Yoga exercises to keep me healthy. If at all the USG says any endometrosis Can use Endometrosis is serious health issue I am serious health issue it can be cured how long it takes to cure what are the precautions to be taken.Homeopathy medicines instead of Allopathy medicines? Because I have to suffer a lot with my stomach. Regarding my height 5'1, weight is 123 Lbs. How much power of Vitamin D3 supplements I have to take. Can you please tell me. I was on complete stress from Aug 2009-DEC 2010, which might reflected on my health. What is Hormonal analysis. Is it a Blood test. If so I have give my complete Blood exam where my all hormones are in normal condition. If any other test is best suggested for Hormonal analysis. What is pelvic examination. Is it Pap Smear My doctor said she cant do pelvic examination papsmear since spotting is seen still. What exactly pelvic examination is and what are the tests done to examin whole pelvic other than USG.
Please let me know what is the test other than Blood test is required for me presently.
Please let me know can I use Homeo medications for my Gynec problems.

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 1 hour later

These are your queries:
Is Endometrosis serious health issue? can it be cured? how long it takes to cure what are the precautions to be taken?
Endometriosis is abnormal growth of endometrial cells(cells which are inside uterus) at other places like ovaries,cervix,fallopian tubes.It can be cured depending on the stage and extent of disease.It usually presents with pain in the pelvic area,pain while urinating,spotting,painful intercourse etc.It is a cause of concern as it can lead to infertility and as the age increases it can cause problems in conceiving.Since it is a hormone dependent condition there are no precautions as such.

Homeopathy medicines instead of Allopathy medicines?
Since I am an Allopathic Doctor i cannot comment regarding Homeopathic Medicines.

How much power of Vitamin D3 supplements I have to take?
If you do not have much exposure to sun you can take at least 2000 units per day but do keep a check of levels after few months.

What is Hormonal analysis?
Hormonal Analysis is testing of all the hormonal levels in the body and it is done by blood test only.Since they are normal you need not repeat them

What is pelvic examination. Is it Pap Smear?
Pelvic examination is done by a Gynaecologist in which the pelvic organs are examined by herself manually and it helps in detecting any abnormality if present.Pap smear is collection of the vaginal fluid and studying it under microscope. USG is the best method to examine pelvis.You can go for it.

Other than this i do not think any other test is required.

Wishing you Good Health!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor