Abnormal spotting after the completion of menstrual cycle. Abdominal ultrasound normal. Any advice?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: i have undergone abdominal ultrasound and have no fibroids or cysts. my periods are timed at 28 days cycle. after the 5th i.e last day of my periods the bleeding stops for 3 days and then starts again for 2 days. it is dark brown blood with a sticky consistency.
kindly advise as to it is normal or should i undergo some testing.
thanks
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX,

The condition experienced by you is known as post menstrual spotting.
Abnormal spotting, after the completion of menstrual cycle is indicative that the uterus is pushing the stream of old blood out of the body which for some reasons it could not get rid-off during the normal period cycle. In normal cases, the spotting is only mild and detected when a woman cleans or wipes. The color of the blood may be mild red or darkish brown.

If the spotting discontinues after a day or so, there is no serious cause for concern. However, since you are experiencing this every month, you should consult a gynecologist as there are certain causes for this condition, apart from it being a normal occurence. Also, particularly if the spotting is painful, associated with cramping, or if you occasionally spot in the middle of the cycle, or after intercourse, there is all the more reason for you to seek medical advice.

Sometimes, if you are sexually active around this time, or consume certain hormone containing medications, then the hormonal changes could lead to extra spotting just after the period gets over.
Anxiety, stress, emotional upheaveals could lead to this. Certain conditions like diabetes, thyroid hormone dysfunction, mild liver or kidney disease - also contribute to this.
Endometritis ( mild inflammation of the lining of the uterus ) could cause post menstrual spotting. Sometimes, fibroids in the uterus or ovarian cysts could cause post menstrual spotting.

As this has been your normal pattern, I do not think anything is wrong with you, as the pattern of menstrual bleeding varies from individual to individual. However, considering the causes of such spotting, I would recommend a thorough gynecological check up for you - total bodily examination, examination of neck, breasts and thyroid gland, per abdominal, per speculum and per vaginal examination.

If required, additional tests like complete blood count, renal and liver function tests, thyroid and adrenal hormonal profile, blood glucose tests, Pap smear of cervix, assessment of medical and drug history, and an ultrasound. Also, an abdominal ultrasound sometimes fails to clarify pelvic conditions, so please go for a transvaginal ultrasound.

Take care , and feel free to ask for further clarifications.