Abnormal bleeding and mood swings after taking loestrin 30. Is this normal?

Dr. Timothy Raichle

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in Birth Control
Question: Hi,
I have switched from ortho-tricylen lo to loestrin 30. I experienced heavy breakthrough bleeding and severe mood swings on ortho-tricylen lo and switched after 2 months. On ortho tricylen lo I experienced break through bleeding on the 12 active pill of the first pack and on the 17 active pill on the second pack. I am on my first pack of loestrin 30 and am experience spotting and breakthrough bleeding on the 17 active pill. I was wondering if this is normal?
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

Your gender in the question information is listed as male - I am assuming that this is a mistake. Women go onto birth control for several reasons:

1. Abnormal or heavy bleeding
2. Birth control (of course)
3. Control of other cycle related symptoms / mood swings.

In anyone who was on a low dose pill who experienced breakthrough bleeding, I, too, would have switched them to a more normal dose pill (which was done). If they STILL experienced breakthrough bleeding (which you are) then there needs to be a better evaluation of the uterus (ESPECIALLY) if you went on to the birth control pills to control abnormal bleeding in the first place!

Here is what needs to happen:
1. You need to call your OB/GYN
2. You need to request an ultrasound called a "sonohysterogram". This is where a small amount of fluid is infused into the uterine lining to evaluate for anatomical problems, such as polyps.

This would be the appropriate way to proceed. This is reinforced if you went on to the pills to control abnormal bleeding in the first place, but regardless, my recommendation is the same.

Finally, check a pregnancy test!

I hope this helps and good luck! Please let me know if you have more questions.