Able to lead life with prolapsed rectum. Could I postpone the surgery?

Dr. Amit Jain

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have an appt today for a test to see how strong my muscles are in connection with prolapsed surgery. I am 79 years old and feel I can live with the prolapsed rectum. Can I put off surgery if needed until after the upcoming holidays.
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes you can delay the surgery for few days

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in XXXXXXX I am a Gastroenterologist (DM).

Yes definitely this is not an emergency so you can delay for few days. However get yourself evaluated for the cause of prolapse by getting colonoscopy examination. If you are constipated take some laxative and meanwhile do not strain while passing stool.

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. If you have any further query I will be happy to answer that too. Remain in touch and get-well soon.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj