Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Abdominal pain, ultrasound shows gall bladder polyps and sludge. What is to be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1995
Answered : 4036 Questions
Hello Doctor,
Am 32 years of age, 3 days back i had abdomen pain ultrasound report says Gallbladder Polyps and sludge.
Gall Bladder : Normally distended.No Gall stone.Polyps are seen ,larger ones measuring 5mm and 7mm .Sludge present.Wall thickness normal.No perichocecystic collection.
Earlier i have IBS problem and my endoscopy report says Hiatus hernia and erosive fundaL gastritis.
Now the pain is subcided, i do not go for Gall blader removal

Pls suggest me what is to be done,i consulted 3 doctors all gave different opinions am confused.

Thanks in advance for helping me

Posted Sat, 15 Sep 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 8 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

I can appreciate your concern.

There is no reason to worry.

Will take up two things one by one.

1. Gall bladder sludge: Sludge is a common term that is applied to an abnormality of bile that is seen with ultrasonography of the gallbladder. These particles may be precursors of gallstones. Means they may lead to formation of gall stones in future in some cases.

Unless there is clear cut evidence that this sludge is the main reason for pain then only it requires surgery. Otherwise regular follow up is advised to look for the formation of gall stones.

2. Gall bladder polyps: Polyps in the gallbladder are common and often are found on ultrasound examinations of the abdomen. Typically, they are small and do not cause symptoms. Polyps less then 1 cm size are not XXXXXXX (as in your case) and you can live with it without any problem.

In nut shell, there is not urgency for surgery for gall bladder, unless there is recurrent pain in the area with swelling over gall bladder.

Please get in touch with a Gastro-Surgeon for further advice and treatment.Again for hiatus hernia you also need regular treatment.

I hope this clarifies and helps in you taking an informed decision.

Wishing you good health.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor