Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Abdominal pain, knot in abdomen, colon fused to stomach. Ultrasound shows Fallopian tube leakage. Causes for pain?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 158 Questions
My daughter (26) wakes up with severe pain on her left side every day with a golf ball sized knot clearly palpable. An ultrasound tech had said she believes her Fallopian tube is leaking and a previous gynecologist removed endometriosis and said her colon was fused to her stomach. Could this be the cause of her pain? We have been to five gynecologists and three gastroenterologists and nobody seems to have an answer.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 7 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

When endometriosis is severe, pain often occurs. As told by your previous Gynecologist, if colon is adherent to stomach it can also cause pain.

Coming to management, for diagnosis - laparoscopy is the best answer. Your operating surgeon may try to separate the colon from stomach or if there is recurrence of endometriosis, they may remove it.

If you want to delay laparoscopy, you can discuss medical treatment of endometriosis with your Gynecologist in the form of ovulation inhibiting drugs like Gonadotropin-Releasing Hormone (GnRH) analogues etc.

Also if your daughter is having constipation, pain in left lower tummy can occur. So make sure she drinks plenty of water and consumes adequate fiber in her diet.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Abdominal pain, knot in abdomen, colon fused to stomach. Ultrasound shows Fallopian tube leakage. Causes for pain? 4 hours later
Would endometriosis cause a large knot in her lower left quadrant? I have never heard of that before. Also, what about the Fallopian tubes. Could there be leakage there which would cause pain? She also has a period only about once every two months. Could this blood be pooling somehow and causing pain? Last ob/gyn said he did not believe she had more endometriosis. Thank you for your reply.
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 6 hours later

Endometriosis can present in the form of lump, sticking the adjoining structures within the abdomen. This has potential to cause pain. Hence you can discuss with your doctor for the biopsy of that knot.

Regarding leakage of fallopian tube, its a difficult diagnosis by ultrasound. A confirmation by laparoscopy is the answer.

Periods once in every 2 months does not mean that she has blood accumulation in the abdomen, it may be because of hormonal imbalance or infection.

Since you have been to many doctors, a laparoscopy is best answer for accurate diagnosis. To conclude you should discuss with your doctor the need of biopsy of that knot.

Best wishes. Please accept my answer if you do not have further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor