Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

Abdominal pain, history of gall bladder disease. Overnight treatments?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 677 Questions
any suggest on a hold over treatment my wife is having severe. abdominal pain but refuses to go to the ER tonight she had mentioned that when she was much younger she was told by a doctor that her gall bladder was diseased. what over night treatments will get her by till she can make a doctors appointment or what OTCs can ease her situation
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 3 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

I understand your concern.

You have provided with good information but it would help me give better suggestions if you could answer the following....

1. How old is your wife?

2. Where is the pain located? I mean which part of the abdomen?

3. Is the pain associated with nausea, vomiting, fever, loose stools or burning sensation while passing urine? and does the pain radiate (move from one place to the other)?

4. What type of pain is it? Burning/stabbing/Cramping/intermittent/Colicky?

5. Since how long does she have this pain?

6. Is she due on her periods or is she having her periods now?

7. Does she have pain with each period?

8. Does she have jaundice?

9. Does the pain worsen or gets better after having a meal?

I suppose you understand the need to take her to the ER by looking at the questions I have asked. I urge you to take her to the ER as early as possible for a proper physical exam and diagnosis, since it is impossible to make a diagnosis with only a history.

Advising on medications for this condition is inappropriate without a physical exam.

But if you insist on an OTC preparation, you could give her Motrin(Ibuprofen), one tablet after food, and if the pain does not subside with this in half an hour to one hour you must take her to the ER. Also you can try placing a ice pack over the area where it hurts her.

Hope I have answered your query. Please revert back to me if you any further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor