Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Abdominal pain, feeling of full bladder, frequent urination. Diet contains aspartame. Normal blood sugar test.

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1992
Answered : 47 Questions
I am a 41 male that does not drink or smoke. I have no history of prostate/bladder/urinary track problems. Last week after a workout session in which I preformed side crunches I noted that there was a dull pain in my sides. That evening I noted that my trips to the bathroom had increased and the feeling that my bladder was full continued. This continued for several days and my ability to sleep decreased. Finally I went to the emergency room to be checked out. The Doctor checked my urine for an infection and said it was clean. He also ran a blood suger test which came back normal. The Doctor subscribed a small dosage of Oxybutynin and advised I see a Urologist (I am in the process of doing so). The drug has helped but I am still have difficulty sleeping and the pain in the sides persists. It should be noted that I am under allot of stress from work and I recently changed my diet 6-7 weeks ago to drink less pop but started drinking diet pops which I understand contains aspartame which the doctor explains could have contributed to the condition. Lastly my urines color has either been yellow or clear (no blood) and there has been no leakage.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Chandan Choudhary 16 hours later
Thanks for the query.

Do not worry.
Please go for ultrasound of KUB(kidney urinary bladder)/prostate/residual volume and revert back to me.Please also mention whether your flow of urine is good or not?

Please stop taking aspartame as abdominal cramps and sleep disturbance are known side effect of this drug.

Also drink lots of fluids.Since the test done for urine infection is normal there is nothing to worry.But you can resume exercising after the pain reduces.

Hope i have answered your query.I will be waiting for the reports.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor