Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

Abdominal pain, blood and urine test normal, blood urea 67, serum creatinine 1.8

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
My father has been complaining about abdominal pain since last more than 1.5 months. We had got all blood and urine tests conducted on April 2nd and things were okay. Today as on May 02, 2011; we got the following test results and a possible kidney issue-

Blood Urea- 67
Serum Creatinin- 1.8
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 32 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. From the symptoms that you have described and the lab reports, it is quite possible that your father has renal (kidney) dysfunction and this abdominal pain is correlating to the kidney cause.
When you got his blood tests done, was blood sugar also evaluated? If blood sugar levels were not done, then he needs to get a fasting blood sugar and a HBA1c done.

He needs a detailed examination from a nephrologist and further testing done. These tests include urine for albumin, 24 hours urine, GFR (glomerular filteration rate of the kidneys), estimated GFR from blood test, serum electrolytes especially potassium, phosphorus, and calcium levels, acid base balance and an ultrasound abdomen done. A sample of the kidney tissue (biopsy) is sometimes required in cases in which the cause of the kidney disease is unclear.

Till the time he gets these tests done, follow the following treatment options:

1)     Restrict his salt, protein and excessive water intake. Salt should be less than 4-5 grams per day.
2)     He should avoid foods XXXXXXX in potassium. These include bananas, oranges, nuts, and potatoes.
3)     He should also restrict phosphorus XXXXXXX foods like eggs, beans, cola drinks, and dairy products.
4)     Limit any alcohol consumption or smoking if any.
5)     Any medicines like pain killers, antacids, antiulcer drugs, laxatives and nasal decongestants should be taken only after consulting a doctor.

Hope this answers your query.

If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Nephrologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor