Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

153 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Abdominal pain after vp shunt placement. How to get relief from pain?

Answered by
Dr. Raju A.T

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2008

Answered : 3897 Questions

Posted on Sat, 15 Dec 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I had a VP shunt revision in July. Since then I have sever positional pain in the pelvic region. I had another revision (neurosurgeon was not present) only general surgeon. He repositioned the tube and "trimmed" it. I am having more severe pain then before. He claims it to be the onset of endometriosis (sp) that just so happened to occur at the same time the catheter broke in my shoulder which caused the first revision. General surgeon and neurosurgeon do not believe it to be the catheter causing the pain. I have seen a urologist and my obgyn; both have not come up with any cause and send my back to general surgeon.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 7 hours later

Thanks for your query.

I understand your concern. In such cases where there are conflicting opinions, it would be better to get relevant investigation and clarify each other’s doubts.

Pain in the lower half of the abdomen is thought to be a rare presentation in people with Ventriculoperitoneal shunt or any other shunts to the peritoneal cavity. This usually happens owing to the position of the tube end and the shape of the tube end. If the defects were corrected by the general surgeon, the pain should vanish in a few days to weeks.

It is not clear when the revision surgery was done the second time. If it is more than months, then I would suggest you to get an Abdominopelvic scan to determine the cause for the pain and clear each other’s doubts.

We can wait for a few weeks if the re-revision surgery was only very recent

Hope I answered your query. Please let me know if there are any other concerns.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

Recent questions on  Cerebral shunt

doctor1 MD

My son has congenital hydrocephlus with 1 year old va shunt replacing previous vp shunt due to enormous abdominal pseudocyst.He has chiari malformation,has had the surgery( removal of C1 and C2 and half of C3, some brain stem tissue). He has epilepsy, mild cerebral palsay, learning disabilites etc. my question is his eyes become so blood shot and sore, I am wondering why and if this goes hand in hand?

doctor1 MD

I have a friend whose child has hydrocephalus and is going under exploratory shunt surgery; and I am just wondering what that is and what it entails? My daughter also has hydrocephalus but has never had this surgery so I am unclear as to what she can expect.

doctor1 MD

I have hydrocephalus caused by a colloid cyst that couldn't be removed. A shunt was put in about a year ago and has been adjusted several times - the last time about a month ago. Since then I seem to have developed both hearing and vision loss. My ears seem to be congested and I have been to an ENT who removed some wax and that seemed to help for a couple of days. Could all of these things be related?

doctor1 MD

My father has been diagnosed with tb meningitis .medication is on for last 1.5 months.VP shunt was also done for hydrocephalus .not showing any improvement.he is unconscious for last 20 days ,doctors say it is at level 4 on Glasgow coma scale .now...

doctor1 MD

I have a brain shunt where the tubing is irritating my lower back nerve area. Is there anything they can do to fix this with laprascopic? What happens when a nerve is touched? Does it ever stop hurting afterwards? I am ignorant about this and need...

doctor1 MD

Dear Physicians: I believe that I should present the issue of hydrocephalus that had developed because the colliod cyst blocked the third ventricle . The Surgeon had to insert a shunt to bypass the obstruction. Thank you