Abdominal pain after vp shunt placement. How to get relief from pain?

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Sat, 15 Dec 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I had a VP shunt revision in July. Since then I have sever positional pain in the pelvic region. I had another revision (neurosurgeon was not present) only general surgeon. He repositioned the tube and "trimmed" it. I am having more severe pain then before. He claims it to be the onset of endometriosis (sp) that just so happened to occur at the same time the catheter broke in my shoulder which caused the first revision. General surgeon and neurosurgeon do not believe it to be the catheter causing the pain. I have seen a urologist and my obgyn; both have not come up with any cause and send my back to general surgeon.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 7 hours later

I understand your concern. In such cases where there are conflicting opinions, it would be better to get relevant investigation and clarify each other’s doubts.

Pain in the lower half of the abdomen is thought to be a rare presentation in people with Ventriculoperitoneal shunt or any other shunts to the peritoneal cavity. This usually happens owing to the position of the tube end and the shape of the tube end. If the defects were corrected by the general surgeon, the pain should vanish in a few days to weeks.

It is not clear when the revision surgery was done the second time. If it is more than months, then I would suggest you to get an Abdominopelvic scan to determine the cause for the pain and clear each other’s doubts.

We can wait for a few weeks if the re-revision surgery was only very recent

Hope I answered your query. Please let me know if there are any other concerns.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad