Abdominal pain, CT urogram showed no urolithiasis, no pelvic mass abnormality. Was this an abdominal CT?

Dr. Ranjeet Jagdale

Radiologist

Posted on Sat, 30 Jun 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I went in to the ER today complaining of stomach pain.

I told them I had abdominal pain and they did a CT Urogram.

The results are as follows:

Radiologist Wet Read

1. No urolithiasis or obstructive uropathy.
2. No intra-abdominal, retroperitoneal, or pelvic mass abnormality or abnormal fluid collection.
3. No acute appearing bowel related abnormality.

Was this an abdominal CT? Could they see the liver, pancreas and gallbladder with this and notice if any of those were abnormal. The doctor said they could but focused on the kidneys? My question is are the other organs ok? I think the scan started right at the bottom of my ribs and went belowemy pelvis. Are these scans double checked for accuracy?
Answered by Dr. Ranjeet Jagdale 9 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
When a computerised tomography scan (CT scan) of the KUB region ( kidney-ureter-bladder region), while the scan mainly focuses on the kidneys, ureters and bladders, we have a look at the other organs as well.
However, since your report says "No intra-abdominal, retroperitoneal, or pelvic mass abnormality or abnormal fluid collection", it means that the other organs are normal on plain scan.
Also, since this scan was done without injecting a XXXXXXX some abnormalities may not be detected. However, it is highly unlikely that a big mass is missed. So we can comfortably say that the other organs namely liver, spleen and pancreas are normal.
I hope I have addressed your concerns.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. Ranjeet Jagdale 19 hours later
So if there was a tumor of some sort on any other organ it would stick out?

Is this scan better than an abdominal ultrasound as far as catching abnormalties?
Answered by Dr. Ranjeet Jagdale 22 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back.
As I said, any big mass would certainly not go unnoticed, however since a contrast scan has not been done certain abnormalities may not be picked up.
An ultrasound (USG) has its own advantages and limitations and I cannot give you blanket answer as to which one of the two ( plain CT scan and ultrasound) is better.
A Contrast CT scan is however better than USG but it involves lot of radiation dose and around 120ml contrast has to be injected.
So, the choice of investigation always depends on patients complaints, the organ to be evaluated and the disease under consideration.
Hope this helps