Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Abdominal injuries, infected wounds, weight loss, pain and scars. Treatment ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
59. 5 feet 5 inches, weight 175, history of abdominal surgeries, infection wound VAC one year ago.
I had a mesh put in the side of my navel. It has always been pulled towards the left side. I have received treatment from PT, chiropractors and massage therapists. A lot of fibrous tissue disappeared, but now, since I lost a lot of weight, my skin sags. Further, I have noticed there is a whitish discoloration underneath which there is a scar. It pulls the mesh, it gets hard, and it is a strange sort of pain because it is pulling-like. I have applied heat and creams to no avail. It worsens. Maybe I do not know how to do it. I need an answer. Today I have an appointment with a surgeon and my primary. I need guidance. What can I do about this because I canĀ“t live like this.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later

Thanks for the query.

Your question is a good one and I'll try to give you some information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

From your history and the information you have provided, it seems like during the healing process as well as your weight loss, you have developed a situation which is extremely uncomfortable. This can sometimes happen after surgeries where there are complications during the healing process such as that which occurred in your case.

As far as I understand. In reviewing your situation I really do not think that conservative measures will provide a durable and long-term improvement or response. At this point, I think intervention from a plastic surgeon would be indicated to help reduce the redundant tissue and help maintain your mobility.

A skilled plastic surgeon should certainly be able to handle this type of operation. It would require some delicate expertise but overall long-term after you heal from this type of operation I think your quality of life will be significantly improved.

Other than the option of a plastic surgeon providing some intervention I really do not think there are any other good alternatives.

Thank you for submitting your question once again. I hope you have found this response to support what you have already been thinking. If you have any additional concerns regarding this particular question please submit them and I would be happy to address them.


Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor