A painful, dark spot appeared in the middle of upper lip. Not a blister. What could be this?

Dr. Rahul Kumar

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: A dark spot appeared in the middle of my upper lip last monday it was not a blister nor was it painful it has not changed in looks what could this be
This dark spot appeared on my upper lip last monday it has been 5 days and it does not hurt it burn or anything it was never a bump nor a cold sore what could this be and how long does it take before it goes away???
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
enlarged sebaceous glands

Detailed Answer:
It is looking like a group of enlarged sebaceous glands. There are many sebaceous glands arranged on the lip. When they get enlarged a blackish appearance occurs.
Please apply a mild steroid cream like mometasone for a week. These lesions will subside. Let me know if you have any other doubts. Thank you
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 6 minutes later
So does this mean i can not put makeup on it and also where do i find the cream that i should use and should i not apply any lipgloss on my lips as well and typically how long does it take to go away
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
details below

Detailed Answer:
Hello
This must be easily available in any pharmacy. You can apply this ointment in night and makeup in morning.
It should take around a week for the lesions to disappear.
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 20 minutes later
I went to the pharmacy and they told me i needed a prescription will hydrocortizone cream work
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
hydrocortisone will work

Detailed Answer:
Yes even hydrocortisone will work but you may need to apply it twice for 15 days,
thank you