A friend (male, age 30) is addicted to cigarettes. He

Dr. Olgeta Xhufka

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2019 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Question: A friend (male, age 30) is addicted to cigarettes. He needs to quit to keep his job (not to mention, improve his health). He needs to try the best recommended OTC drug. What do you recommend.
Answered by Dr. Olgeta Xhufka 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
He can use nicotine patches.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear, welcome to Ask a doctor service.
I read your query and here is my advice.

I can recommend him to use nicotine replacement therapy and it can be found in forms of gums, lozenges and patches that contain nicotine to replace the need and reduce cravings.
I can recommend you Nicorette XXXXXXX lozenges used as lozenge to decrease cravings of nicotine that occur typically after quitting or abstinence.
Also he can use patches of niciderm the strength of patch depends on amount of cigarettes he is having. If he is having 10 cigarettes he can choose patch containing 21 mg of nicotine and change after six weeks to 14 mg patch next two weeks and 7 mg next two weeks.

Hope I have answered the question.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad