A friend has numbness in her arms and legs, bloated

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Fri, 30 Mar 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: A friend has numbness in her arms and legs, bloated tummy, and is pale as a ghost. She is 17 and sometimes gets migraines.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

People who get migraines (I am one too) can also sometimes have autonomic nervous system dysfunction that can cause some of these symptoms. But given the constellation of symptoms, I think it is wise that she is going in to the ER to be examined in person.

In the ER, request specifically for her to be seen by a physician and not by a PA or NP as this requires a higher level of knowledge than their training provides.

What I would do, based on these symptoms is the following:
recent history
vitals (blood pressure, pulse, respiratory rate) - that she is pale, her blood pressure may be low.
abdominal exam - there may be abnormal bowel sounds or specific localized pain that can give clues
neurological exam - including sensation and perception

Then, a complete blood count (looking for anemia, infection), and a chemistry/metabolic panel (to check electrolytes, liver enzymes, and other indices).

I would be happy to help explain whatever tests they are doing for her in the ER.