95 years old suffering from terrible cough. Natural remedy?

Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Posted on Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in General Health
Question: Hi there, my gran is nearly 95 and she constantly coughs. It's terrible. We don't know what to do. It has been going on for years. She takes blood pressure tabs and apparently has a heart issue but is too old to operate. How do we get her to stop coughing? We keep giving her cough medicine but I think it's not good to continuously give her medicine. Sometimes the cough abates but then it comes back again in no time. It's SO hard. :(
Is there any natural remedy for constant cough? To soothe the throat.
It is a dry cough.
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 27 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.
Persisting cough > 2 weeks is really a worried concern.
Does she have swelling in lower limbs?
Is there any aggravating factors for cough?
Is there any diurnal variation during cough episodes? Cough due to asthma is more during night times.
Let me know the medicine for control of blood pressure. ACE inhibitors (Ramipril, Enalpril, Peridopril, Lisinopril) are associated with persisting cough and just a change of medicine may abolish the cough.
Dry cough could be due to irritation of cough center in brain, affection of epiglottis, interstitial ling disease.
As such there is least chances of cough due to heart disease because heart diseases are associated with productive cough.
You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist or Chest physician. and should go for thorough check up.
You should go for complete blood count, ESR and chest x XXXXXXX along with electro-cardiogram (ECG).
She should take Centrally acting cough suppressants along with throat soothing medicines.
As natural remedy, you can give Ginger with honey. This will ameliorate cough along with soothing effect of throat.
Hope that helps
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow up: Dr. Mayank Bhargava 5 minutes later
Hi Doctor, she takes Atenolol for blood pressure and she is supposed to take prexum but she doesn't 'cause she coughs even worse. My mum says she has enlarged heart and the doctor says this causes coughing too. No swelling or any other issues. Her cough is the same day and night.

I also heard that taking cinammon and honey is good. Is there any truth to that?
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 8 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Prexum contains Perindopril and this drug may cause persistent cough.
Enlarged heart causes only when there is some sort of pressure on airways.
She could go for CT scan Chest for getting all these details.
Cinnamon is a powerful herb when it comes to fighting inflammation and honey protects from viral attacks such as the flu.
Cinnamon and honey combination is also a good option as a natural therapy.
Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query also.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow up: Dr. Mayank Bhargava 3 hours later
Thank you!

Take care!

Warm rgds
Thanks,
Wishing a speedy recovery,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava