91 years old have vascular dementia and alzheimers. What causes swelling of body?

Dr. S K Mishra

Spine Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 14 Dec 2012 in Osteoporosis
Question: Mum has vascular dementia and alzheimers. I know she has the XXXXXXX strokes but when I saw her the other day she was very swollen up, so much so that she could not walk very well and I had to remove her rings, they were so tight I did think I would have to cut them off. What is the cause behind the swelling? Is it the effect the stroke is having on her heart and then this impacting on her kidneys so that they do not function properly? The swelling has subsided somewhat but she generally looks puffy and pale. Will she continue to do this? Prognosis?
Answered by Dr. S K Mishra 1 hour later

Look your mom is 91 and has dementia. Paleness could be due to anemia and puffiness due to low albumin, both may be result of either old age , poor nutrition or hypertensive nephropathy or combination of these. All of the above cause puffiness and paleness to an extent of tight rings. We probably could not exactly comment on prognosis or how long she will continue to improve?

Your grand mom theoretically needs cardiac monitoring and evaluation and may need hospitalization too.

Since she had lived her life I will not advise very active management and leave things on time.

Hope I answered your question.