Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
136 Doctors are Online

90 years old have blood pressure 134 / 70 and louder pounding heartbeat. What should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 10416 Questions
louder pounding heartbeat?
present blood presure 134 / 70 range to 145 /65.....age 90 female
Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

A loud pounding heart is indicative of palpitations or arrhythmias which are irregularities in the rate or rhythm of the heart.
When a person experiences palpitations it may be due to the heart beating either too fast or slow or the heart beating at an irregular rhythm.
Normally when your heart beats, a certain part of your heart starts the 'electrical current' that flows through the heart along a specific pathway to activate the entire heart.
Palpitations occur under different circumstance such as:(1) increased or decreased stimulation at the starting point (2) an different or abnormal starting point (3) irregularity or blockage along the normal pathway that the current passes or passage along a different pathway

Palpitations or arrhythmias are classified, this is important because each has a different possible cause, treatment and prognosis.
To determine the reason for your palpitation your doctor would take the history to determine how often it occurs, duration, associated symptoms, medical history.After he or she examines you, an ECG would be done to check for the specific rhythm or rate.
If the ECG, which is a short test, does not show the abnormality then a Holter which is a 24 hr ECG will likely be suggested.
In alot of cases, the palpitation is easily treated with no abnormality.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor