Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

9 year old having knock knee. Slow running with abnormal forward posture. Suggested shoes with insole. Is it possible to get treated without surgery?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10460 Questions
Hi Doctor,
My son is 9 year old and has knock knee . He runs slow with a abnormal bend forward posture. Is it possible to cure this condition without surgery. What are the posible options? Recently i had shown him to a doctor and he advised him to wear shoes with insole. Is it good enough to treat the condition or is there a better option that we can explore?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

Knock knees at the age of 9 can be corrected with the help of shoes with insole as the growing ends of bones have not yet fused. The degree of correction achieved in this way depends on the extent of deformity present.
Wearing braces or splints can also correct the line of the legs to some extent. You need to add calcium and vitamin C and D3 supplements to your son's diet.
If all the above measures do not help to correct the deformity till the age of 10, then surgery is the only option.
Your GP or a physiotherapist may be able to recommend exercises to help stabilize your child’s knees and straighten his legs.

I hope this answers your query effectively. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor