85 years old. Noticed blood in urine. What's going on?

Dr. Sadiq Mughal

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Tue, 15 Jan 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Past three months, some bleeding following male urination. No pain. I am 85 and in good health.
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 3 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX.

Haematuria(bleeding with urine) at 85 years you have to take it little seriously.
There could be few reasons for heamaturia. The first cause could be stone somewhere in urinary tract and third could be cancer of urinary bladder or prostate.

I would suggest you to consult a physician,get your urine examination and ultrasound genito urinary system done. You may also need to go for cystocopy(examination of your lower urinary tract with cystoscope.

Hope this answers your question. Let me know if you have any more queries.

Regards.
Dr Sadiq
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan