Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

82 years old. have watery eye. Should I go for tear duct cauterization?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 2770 Questions
My eyes are beginning to water excessively. It's probably age-related, I am 82.
Is it posssible to have my tear ducts cauterized ?
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 4 hours later
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
The duct openings that are visible near the medial portion of your each eye (top and down) are meant for drainage of your tears. Its not meant for production. Infact the ducts meant for production are not seen by naked eyes.
The most common reason for the excessive tears is not their excessive production but inadequate drainage from the eye.
You need to check the patency of these drainage ducts.
The removal of lacrimal glads which produce tears can lead problems of dry eye,which is more troublesome.
In short, you need not cauterize your tear ducts.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you can close the discussion and rate the answer accordingly.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Ophthalmologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor