Owl Image

80 years old have bleeding nose and pressure in forehead. What is going on?

Owl Image
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Question
My mother who is 80 years old two weeks ago has a severe nose bleed that we could not stop and had to go to the hospital. She was finally cotagorized and all was well. Then a week later she was complaining about pressure in her forehead and now she has blood all in the whites of her right eye. She says she still feels the pressure in her forehead, and her eye looks terrible. Then last night she was watching TV, and a nosebleed started, stopped within a few minutes. Can you tell me what is going on?
Fri, 11 Jan 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Such symptoms are very characteristic for elevated blood pressure. When this happens, blood vessels are getting torn, and the bloods gets out of it. This causes hard to stop nose bleedings, headaches.
So I suggest you at first, check her blood pressure.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.