Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
197 Doctors are Online

80 years old. Have swelling on leg and 40% kidney working. What treatment should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 1414 Questions
My father aged 80 year, is having swelling on his legs, local doctors says his kidenys are functioning only 40% and there is some water accumulation. which medician will be best suited to him for removing swelling and improving his kidenys.
he is prescribed Aneurine compound tab bpc and Avnet twice a day and one heart surgen have prescribed Unistar-75 and Torsinex-20. but his condition is not improving and swelling is too much on legs.
Posted Sat, 13 Oct 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later

He has a complex of kidney and heart problem.
I can provide you guidance, though it may not be complete as it requires physical examination and a battery of tests.
He needs to be evaluated by a nephrologist and a cardiologist.
His diet needs to be adjusted - basically fluid restriction, protein and salt restriction.
In addition he may need iron, calcium and Bcomplex supplements.
Depending on his progress, changes can be made on the diet as well as medicines.
If the fluid accumulation is excessive and blood potassium levels go up, the doctor may consider dialysis to remove the fluid and toxic chemicals causing the symptoms.
Kindly ensure he is under strict followup by these specialists.
Unfortunately, there is no single medicine to remove the fluid and get is kidneys back to normal.
Hope this helps, kindly get back for doubts if any.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Nephrologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor