Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

8 year old having minor thalsemia. Blood work done. What treatment is required?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
My son 8 year old has Minor thalsemia. his growth is very good, weight 44 kg. His blood RBC mild anisopoikilocytosis microcytic hypochromic with ovalocytes
WBC- Normal morphology
Platelets - adequate
C- reactive protien - H 9.6
Iron binding capacity L 26
total iron binding capacity - 399
saturation L 7
Red blood cell count - 5.66
Hemoglobin - 10.2
Hematocrit - 34
mean capsule volume 66
Mean corpuscular hemoglobin - 18
Mean corpuscular concentration - 19.9

The child is oK and what treatment is required ?
Posted Wed, 1 Aug 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

At this point I'm very happy to know that he's feeling well and is enjoying what appears to be a very normal life of a child.

I have reviewed the laboratory testing which you have submitted. It appears that he does have minor thalassemia.

At this point observation would be recommended. It is important that you have him established care with a good pediatric hematologist.

Generally I would advise laboratory testing to be done two or three times per year unless he develops some type of worrisome symptoms.

His hemoglobin level will always be low because of the structural abnormality in the hemoglobin. Again since he's otherwise doing well there is no concern or indication for any type of transfusion or treatment at this time.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you have found my response to be informative. If you have a specific additional concerns I would be happy to address those with you.


Dr. Robert.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: 8 year old having minor thalsemia. Blood work done. What treatment is required? 9 hours later
Dear Doctor,hat to

Any there any problem will araise in future? He is a normal boy till date. His weight 46 Kg not 44Kg, What are the other test to be done. He is very very intelligent and doing well in school. Please guide me what to do next?

He is always interested Non Veg food like chicken and fish and pizzas. Is it advisable to give him such type of food. What is the medication for him. Is there ant test required for liver/kideny etc? Is there any symptom of cancer? My wife is also a minor thalsemia. Her blood level is always from 7 to 9. But she is also a hard working women till date.

what is the food supliments you sgestest. Exercise is required or not. He is playing cricket also.

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 9 hours later
Hello and thank you for your follow-up query.

Regarding your son I do not recommend any special supplement other than a daily multivitamin. As long as he is eating a well balanced diet this should be adequate for him.

Regular exercise is also advisable. this will help to maintain his cardiovascular fitness and it will also have a beneficial effect on his overall mental health just as it does for adults.

You do not need to worry about cancer. There is no increased risk for any type of cancer or leukemia or disorder other than the thalassemia.

he should have his blood count check on a regular basis with his general doctor or hematologist. It would also be beneficial to check kidney function and liver function once or twice per year. I do not think he's going to have any difficulty or problems with his kidney or liver function at all.

I expect that he will live a normal life span. I want to make sure that I we are sure you about that.

Thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.


Dr. Robert
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Hematologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor