8 months pregnant Test showed low hemoglobin. Any effect on baby? How to increase this?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Tue, 22 Jan 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi Doctor, My wife is 8 months pregnent and her Haemoglobin level is 8 pls advice will this affect baby and my wife and in what aspects. What are the ways to increase it.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 27 minutes later
Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, the hemoglobin level is lower than normal at this time. So, she is suffering from anemia. Now, the type of anemia should be searched for.

A complete blood count with PCV, MCV, MCHC, MCH along with the peripheral blood film examination is necessary. From these the type of anemia can be said.

At this month of pregnancy, anemia may occur due to –
1.     Iron deficiency
2.     Megaloblastic due to vit B12 and folic acid deficiency

The management of the condition will be according to the cause of the disease. As the patient is < 36 weeks, a therapeutic approach can be tried. If no response seen within one month, blood transfusion should be considered.

Patient should be hospitalized if
1.     Hemoglobin level is < 7.5 gm%
2.     Pregnancy of >36 weeks.
Such low value of hemoglobin can affect the pregnancy.

Effect on mother –
1.     Infection.
2.     Pre-term labour (delivery before the expected date).
3.     Convulsion

Effect on baby – low birth weight.

So, do the investigations and consult with your treating doctor about this. Till then be cautious.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.