Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

8 month child suffering from severe cold, runny nose and breathing problem. Suggest some medicine

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1964
Answered : 246 Questions
Dear sir,

a 8months old baby is suffering from severe cold with running nose and difficulty in breathing, local pediatrician has prescribed Chlorpheneramine maleate drops and amoxcillin, it can be given continuously, please suggest the right medicine for severe cold for infants
Posted Mon, 22 Oct 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 2 hours later
Thanks for writing to us.
I think that cold is usually caused by the viruses and antibiotic should only be given when there is suspicion of bacterial infection. However, when it has been started just continue it for 5 days. For the nasal congestion, Xylometazoline hydrocloride 0.5% nose drops 1 drop in each nostril twice daily for maximum 4 days can be used.
For high temperature, paracetamol syrup ( 250mgm in 5ml ) 2.5ml three times daily. Baby should be given plenty of fluids to keep hydration.
Let me know if you have any more questions
Kindest regards
Dr. S.K.Mukherjee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor