79 years old with bladder cancer and detected secondary type parotid cancer. Proper diagnosis?

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Wed, 16 Jan 2013 in Cancer
Question: my father 79 years old had bladder cancer a year bcak.about 2 months back he was detected with parotid cancer of secondary type i.e. same cell as bladder cancer.some doctors are recommending novalis radiation and some are recommending cyber knife technique.what is yr suggestion
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 15 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing in.

Bladder cancer metastasizing (spreading) to parotid is extremely rare. First I would like to review the pathology at some other good center to confirm it. In case it is the same, it depends on where else it has spread and the general condition of the patient. If CT scans confirm that it is localised to parotid only (lung and abdmen clear) and the patient is fit, I would not hesitate to go for surgery even. Parotid gland removal is not a very major surgery. Added benefit of surgery is that a confirmed diagnosis will be obtained. Otherwise radiation is a good opiton (Novalis is good enough).

If it has spread to otther areas, then chemotherapy or symptomatic treatment as per general condition.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be happy to answer any follow-up queries.