Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

79 years old. Triple bypass surgery done. Having high blood pressure. What should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2272 Questions
Hi my dad is 79 and has has a triple bypass 9 years ago and today his blood pressure is 230/? What should he do? Im scared.
Posted Tue, 21 Aug 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 23 minutes later
Welcome to healthcare magic!
That much high BP is called Accelerated Hypertension in medical terms and is a medical emergency because it can lead to acute coronary syndromes, respiratory failure due to pulmonary edema that can result from heart failure.
And there is a very high risk of stroke.
I would advise you to give any missed dose of the regular antihypertensive medicine, even give an extra dose if he has already taken the regular dose and admit him to ER.
He will need monitoring and possibly intravenous nitroglycerin in infusion according to the response the dose would be adjusted by the clinician there.
He needs a physical examination by your physician and get base line investigations like Chest X XXXXXXX Electrocardiogram, Complete Blood Counts, Renal Function Test, Fasting and Post-Prandial Blood Sugar, Thyroid Profile, Lipid Profile, Ultrasound Abdomen, Urine Compete Examination.
This work up is expected to detect the underlying problem so a a fine tune antihypertensive treatment would be started.
I hope this advise would be helpful for you.
Still if you have any queries or doubts, please write me back,
I would be happy to solve them.

Wish you a great health!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor