Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

78 years old, have incontinence, attended keigle treatment, but now its worse. Wearing pad, can I go for surgery?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 1676 Questions
I have incontenience (sp) very bad and did attend keigle (sp) treatment for four months..that was last year and now it's worse. If I'm sitting, no problem (as expected) but boy as soon as I stand I'd better be very near the bathroom. I have been wearing a pad for about 5 years now and at 78 yrs old...I wonder if it's to late (being to old) to have some kind of surgery. What are the side effects/downfalls etc.?????
Posted Sun, 30 Jun 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

From what you are saying, it sounds like the leakage of urine is related to:
1. Change in position
2. Straining (as might occur with change in position)

This is likely related to anatomic changes that predispose you to leakage of urine. There are two kinds: 'stress urinary' incontinence and 'urgency incontinence'. With the first, we will SUI, women often leak with straining, coughing, sneezing, etc. The options for treating this include:
1. Kegel exercises
2. Consideration of a pessary (plastic ring in vagina to support the urethra)
3. Surgery

Surgery consists of placing a 'sling' or support under the urethra. This is a very easy procedure and is highly effective. The rate of complications is very low, especially in the hands of someone who performs them frequently. If you are otherwise healthy, you are a candidate for this procedure.

I would recommend that you schedule a visit with an OB/GYN or a Urologist and ask them if you are a candidate. Make sure that you ask them about pessaries as well.

I hope that this helps!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor